Time to Exercise Those Seasonal MS Blues Away
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The MultipleSclerosis.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Reid KJ, Baron KG, Lu B, Naylor E, Wolfe L, Zee PC. Aerobic exercise improves self-reported sleep and quality of life in older adults with insomnia. Sleep Med. 2010;11(9):934–940. doi:10.1016/j.sleep.2010.04.014
- O’Brien, S. The Impact of Exercise on Sleep. Clinical Advisor. April 5, 2019. https://www.clinicaladvisor.com/home/the-waiting-room/the-impact-of-exercise-on-sleep/.
- National Sleep Foundation. A good workout can help you get great shut-eye. Accessed November 7, 2019. https://www.sleep.org/articles/exercise-affects-sleep/.
- National Sleep Foundation. Physical activity may help you snooze more soundly. Accessed November 7, 2019. https://www.sleep.org/articles/does-exercise-help-or-hurt-sleep/.
- Sadeghi Bahmani D. et al. Compared to an active control condition, in persons with multiple sclerosis two different types of exercise training improved sleep and depression, but not fatigue, paresthesia, and intolerance of uncertainty. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders. 2019 Jul 29;36:101356. doi: 10.1016/j.msard.2019.07.032.
- Mental Health America. What Are Mood Disorders? Accessed November 7, 2019. https://www.mhanational.org/conditions/mood-disorders.
- Melville N. Depression Called a ‘Core Symptom’ of MS. Medscape. June 14, 2019. Accessed November 7, 2019. https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/914442.
- Connor Roche G. Multiple Sclerosis-Related Depression Influenced by Modifiable Lifestyle Choices. MD Magazine. December 7, 2018. Accessed November 7, 2019. https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/multiple-sclerosis-related-depression-influenced-by-modifiable-lifestyle-choices.
- Taylor KL, Simpson S Jr, Jelinek GA, et al. Longitudinal Associations of Modifiable Lifestyle Factors With Positive Depression-Screen Over 2.5-Years in an International Cohort of People Living With Multiple Sclerosis. Front Psychiatry. 2018;9:526. Published 2018 Oct 30. doi:10.3389/fpsyt.2018.00526
- Scalfari A, Knappertz V, Cutter G, Goodin DS, Ashton R, Ebers GC. Mortality in patients with multiple sclerosis. Neurology. 2013;81(2):184–192. doi:10.1212/WNL.0b013e31829a3388
- Knapen J. Exercise therapy improves both mental and physical health in patients with major depression. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2015;37(16):1490-5. doi: 10.3109/09638288.2014.972579.
- Sadeghi Bahmani D, Kesselring J, Papadimitriou M, et al. In Patients With Multiple Sclerosis, Both Objective and Subjective Sleep, Depression, Fatigue, and Paresthesia Improved After 3 Weeks of Regular Exercise. Front Psychiatry. 2019;10:265. Published 2019 May 3. doi:10.3389/fpsyt.2019.00265