More Life Hacks for MSers
Nearly 2 years ago I put together a list of my favorite MS tricks and tips, and the responses that I have received from the MS community have been so helpful. Therefore, it is time for more MS life hacks, brought to you by people living with MS from around the world! Be sure to check out the original list too!
“Life Hacks” are tricks or shortcuts that make life a little easier. People living with MS are definitely in need of some life hacks to help us save some time, energy, and maybe even maintain some independence. This list is everything that either I have personally learned since creating the original list, or something another person with MS has told me about. Every product that I list can be purchased online (but I’m in no way paid by, or affiliated with any products), making them extra convenient!
Getting ready for the day
- Invest in a large terrycloth robe that can help dry you off with minimal effort, and conserve energy.
- If you have a tub/shower combination and are in a wheelchair it can be tricky to get in and out. Instead of doing an expensive bathroom renovation, get a bathtub transfer bench that allows you to safely get on outside of the tub, and slide over with ease.
- Choose shoes that are slip-on or have velcro instead of laces.
- Find pants that are stretchy or have an elastic bands, so you don’t have to struggle with zippers and buttons.
- Look for shirts that you can simply pull over your head, instead of button down style clothing.
- Leg lift straps can help those with leg weakness get dressed, transfer from a wheelchair to chair/car, and reposition. It is essentially a long strap with a loop and both ends (one end wraps around the foot, and the other loop is used for pulling with your hand) One reader even uses a dog leash to do the trick, because she can find them at a dollar store.
Checking off your “to-do” list
- Amazon Prime and Google Express have saved me so much time and effort! Instead of running around to 6 different stores, to get all the things I need. Both sites will deliver groceries and items from popular stores right to my doorstep!
- Many stores, like the grocery stores and Walmart, will help you load your car after you are done shopping. Just ask!
- Roomba vacuums are popular in the MS community, especially those of us with pets. Vacuuming saps a lot of energy, so having a robot help out with the rugs, floors, and under the furniture might be worth the investment.
Meal time tricks
- SpillNot cups do exactly what they say- keep you from spilling drinks!
- When prepping food or cooking at the stove sit on a stool to conserve energy. One reader even sits in a chair with wheels so she could roll between the counter and stove with ease.
- Use scissors for cutting up food to minimize the risk for cuts and accidents.
- Using weekly pill boxes can help keep you organized. Just fill them up once a week and keep track of your medications!
- Do you ever forget if you already took your medication for the day? They have pill bottle lids and dispensers that show you when you last opened the bottle, and how much time is left until your next dose is due.
Financial assistance for adaptive equipment
(wheelchairs, ramps, stair lifts, vehicle hand controls etc…)
- MSAA Equipment Distribution Program (bathtub transfer benches, shower chairs, bathtub safety rails, elevated toilet seats, seated walkers, grab bars, quad canes, adapted drinking cups, grab bars, hand rails, easy-grip utensil sets, leg lifts, manual wheelchairs).
- Every state in the US has a vocational rehabilitation agency that helps people with disabilities access equipment that enables them to work.
- Check the National MS Society’s website for additional adaptive equipment resources.
What would you add to the next list of Life Hacks??
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The MultipleSclerosis.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.