Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Black Patent Shoes Dancing With MS

The funny symptoms began the summer I was 8 years old and I was told it was my imagination-run outside and play.

Loss of sight at 16 was blamed on reading too much. After I was totally immobilized in 1967 ms was diagnosed. I was told I would never recover and to get my affairs in order – I didn’t have long.

But I DID recover and returned to work 3 months later in pharmacology research lab at veterinary college where I began to review medical and scientific research.

First work I found was proof that remyelination occurs naturally, and I knew that I would always recover. With every episode of disability, there was someone to predict the worst. I am now 69, and symptom free.

Comments

• eva author

It was hard as a child to be told that I was making things up, but I am glad to have been told to run outside and play. The symptoms did disappear eventually. This established the subconscious connection between movement and healing that research has corroborated. Eva

• amazing gg

i am still dancing with Ms as well. i ve had it for 16 years and although i have lost everything material and many relationships i can still dance w/ my special dancing shoes. it proves to me that we must never give up and to atleast keep something of our pre ms life.
    i have loved dancing since i was a toddler and today in my 50’s that still gives me great joy. i have to rest lots before and after my performance (LOL)but it is worth every minute of my dancing. i am on a healthy food/emotional regime and have great faith that in throughout my ms journey i have found many angels.

• eva author

Hello Amazing gg … thank you for sharing your experience, we need to hear all the positive life stories people widh to share. Eva

• Laura Kolaczkowski

Eva, There is new research looking at pediatric MS and hopefully we won’t be ignoring symptoms and telling children to go outside and run it off. Thanks for the encouraging story. ~Laura

• eva author

Dear Laura – before rush to drug treatment, patients watched for 2-3 episodes before attaching label – interesting that 50% had no further activity.
    Older observations that 50% have only 1 definitive episode.
    e

• Lisa Emrich moderator

Hi Eva,
    It’s wonderful that you’ve stayed positive throughout the years when others were telling you to expect the worse. Remyelination absolutely can occur naturally. Won’t it be great when treatments are able to also encourage remyelination? 60 years with MS; you are an inspiration.
    Lisa

• eva author

Dear Lisa – Movement engages the nervous system to repair the myelin. I ignored all the predictions and just kept trying to move … music and laughter important. e