Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer


HI! I was diagnosed at the age of 48. I’m now 56.

One day I had a severe pain in my tongue that lasted a few seconds. Afterwards my tongue felt weird. The next few days were a nightmare. I couldn’t speak properly. My tongue felt lazy, to big for my mouth and slightly number. I work but thank God I went on vacation a few days later. Had MRI done and there was a new active lesion. I was given IV steroids and thankfully my speech got better. My neuro changed my medication from Betaseron injections to Tecfidera 2x daily.

Another one of my many issues is stabbing pains in my ears that make me cry out. I get no warning.

Has anyone had these problems?

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.


  • Rebel author
    2 years ago

    Thank God the nightmare is over! Had steroid drip and it took awhile but everything is back to normal. I now feel pins and needles in my tongue but I speak fine now. Still with the sharp pains in my ear and my Neuro doesn’t think it has anything to do w/MS, but I disagree w/him. I carry around a dropper bottle w/olive oil. A few drops in my ear when the pain starts help reduce it.

  • Barrister16
    2 years ago

    Hi Rebel- yes, yes this has happened to me. Back in April I noticed I was biting my tongue a lot. A few weeks after that I noticed that my tongue was not resting at the top of my mouth like it is supposed to. I called a friend to tell her. 30 mins after I hung up from her my tongue was hanging out of my mouth. I was petrified as I couldn’t talk and didn’t have any control of my tongue. I had to FaceTime her and point to my tongue hanging out because I couldn’t call 911 nor could I call out for my husband who was downstairs. I thought I was having a stroke.
    I went to the local ER. The ER had to transport me in the Mobile ICU to a hospital with a Neuro floor.
    The CT and MRI showed I didn’t have a stroke and was not having a relapse. They kept me in the hospital for a few days for observation. They were scared I would choke on my tongue. My Neuro and I decided not to do the Solu-Medryl right away. I had to keep my jaw open with a plastic spoon to prevent me from my biting my tongue.
    My tongue has improved some. There is a portion of my tongue that is still numb. I have to see a Speech Patholigist and get a Sonogram of the nerve that controls my tongue.
    So far there really isn’t anything they can do for it.
    I hope yours goes away soon

  • Christina Hegarty PT, DPT moderator
    2 years ago

    Hi Rebel,

    I’m so sorry you have to experience this! While you may get some feedback from the community here, you may wish to also post in our forums ( or on our Facebook page ( where you may prompt more feedback from the community.

    Thank you so much for sharing with us and being a part of our community! We’re glad you’re here!

    Best wishes,

    Christina, Team

  • Poll