Know the Link Between Sleep and Inflammation
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The MultipleSclerosis.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Kohsuke Yoshida, Teppei Hashimoto, Yoshitada Sakai, and Akira Hashiramoto, “Involvement of the Circadian Rhythm and Inflammatory Cytokines in the Pathogenesis of Rheumatoid Arthritis,” Journal of Immunology Research, vol. 2014, Article ID 282495, 6 pages, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/282495.
- Elsevier. "Loss Of Sleep, Even For A Single Night, Increases Inflammation In The Body." ScienceDaily. www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080902075211.htm (accessed April 8, 2019).
- Irwin MR, Olmstead R, Carroll JE. Sleep Disturbance, Sleep Duration, and Inflammation: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Cohort Studies and Experimental Sleep Deprivation. Biol Psychiatry. 2015;80(1):40–52. doi:10.1016/j.biopsych.2015.05.014
- Immune Cells from the Gut Can Turn Off Brain Inflammation in MS, Say Researchers Co-funded by the National MS Society. National MS Society. Published January 5, 2019. Accessed April 2019. https://www.nationalmssociety.org/About-the-Society/News/Immune-Cells-from-the-Gut-Can-Turn-Off-Brain-Infla
- Weiler N, Oldfield J. Gut Immune Cells Cut Inflammation in Multiple Sclerosis. UCSF News Center. Published January 3, 2019. Accessed April 2019. https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2018/12/412941/gut-immune-cells-cut-inflammation-multiple-sclerosis
- Breus M. The Latest on Sleep and Gut Health. The Sleep Doctor. Published May 29, 2018. Accessed April 2019. https://thesleepdoctor.com/2018/05/29/the-latest-on-sleep-and-gut-health/
- How Much Sleep Do We Really Need? National Sleep Foundation. Accessed April 2019. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/excessive-sleepiness/support/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need
- Breus M. 5 Things To Know About Sleep And Inflammation. The Sleep Doctor. Published January 1, 2019. Accessed April 2019. https://thesleepdoctor.com/2019/01/01/5-things-to-know-about-sleep-and-inflammation/