Written by: Casey Hribar | Last reviewed: August 2018.
- Research News and Progress. National Multiple Sclerosis Society. https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Research/Research-News-Progress. Published 2018. Accessed August 3, 2018.
- Ontaneda D, Hyland M, Cohen JA. Multiple sclerosis: New insights in pathogenesis and novel therapeutics. Annu Rev Med. 2012; 63, 389-404.
- Multiple Sclerosis: Hope Through Research. National Institutes of Health: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Hope-Through-Research/Multiple-Sclerosis-Hope-Through-Research. Accessed August 3, 2018.
- Multiple Sclerosis Research. Johns Hopkins Medicine. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/research/conditions/multiple-sclerosis-research. Accessed August 3, 2018.
- Rothhammer V, Borucki DM, et al. Microglial control of astrocytes in response to microbial metabolites. Nature. 16 May 2018; 555, 724-8.
- FDA Approves New Drug to Treat Multiple Sclerosis. FDA.gov. https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm549325.htm. Published March 29, 2017. Accessed August 3, 2018.
- Stem Cells in MS. National Multiple Sclerosis Society. https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Research/Research-News-Progress/Stem-Cells-in-MS. Published 2018. Accessed July 29, 2018.
- Stem Cell Treatment Could Be a Game-Changer for People with MS. TIME Health. http://time.com/5205946/stem-cell-treatment-multiple-sclerosis-patients/. Published March 19, 2018. Accessed July 29, 2018.
- Cohen JA, Imrey PB, et al. Pilot trial of intravenous autologous culture-expanded mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in multiple sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis Journal. 2018; 24(4), 501-11. Available from: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1352458517703802. Accessed July 29, 2018.
- Harris VK, Stark J, et al. Phase I trial of intrathecal mesenchymal stem cell-derived neural progenitors in progressive multiple sclerosis. EBioMedicine: The Lancet. https://www.ebiomedicine.com/article/S2352-3964(18)30051-3/fulltext. Published February 3, 2018. Accessed July 29, 2018.
- Keeler GD, Kumar S, et al. Gene therapy-induced antigen-specific tregs inhibit neuro-inflammation and reverse disease in a mouse model of multiple sclerosis. Molecular Therapy. 3 Jan 2018; 26(1), 173-183. Available from: https://www.cell.com/molecular-therapy-family/molecular-therapy/fulltext/S1525-0016(17)30413-6?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS1525001617304136%3Fshowall%3Dtrue. Accessed August 3, 2018.
- What is Gene Therapy? National Institutes of Health: U.S. National Library of Medicine. https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/therapy/genetherapy. Published July 31, 2018. Accessed August 3, 2018.
- Zabala A, Vazquez-Villoldo N, et al. P2X4 receptor controls microglia activation and favors remyelination in autoimmune encephalitis. EMBO Molecular Medicine. 1 Jul 2018; 10 (7), e8743. Available from: http://embomolmed.embopress.org/content/early/2018/07/03/emmm.201708743. Accessed August 3, 2018.
- Research and Clinical Trials: Trends in Multiple Sclerosis Research. Johns Hopkins Medicine. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/centers_clinics/multiple_sclerosis/research/index.html. Accessed August 3, 2018.