Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Anyone have stomach spasms and tongue/speech issues?

I was diagnosed in 2003, three months after my father’s. He drowned. They say that was catastrophic event. I’ve had some serious exasperations early on but have pretty lucky last five years or so. Faith gets you through that. I really believe that. Now I’m 48 and starting to be weaker, tire sooner, and different areas of my body act up. Ok, so has anyone been told MS is nervous system ONLY??

I have other things like optic neuritis, interstitial cystitis, eosinophilic custitis, tralganeuritis, and colon issues. Not all at the same time. But, every doc I see for these items say they are directly related to my MS, especially stress.

I was admitted yesterday with could have gone either way of stroke or flare. Crazy how the symptoms mimic each other. MRI ruled out stroke. Two new symptoms they seem clueless is speech issue, like I sound like I has a stroke, and abdomen spasms of which they say isn’t related, or could be, but its rare. Being treated 3 day IV steroids and then p/t. Anyone?

Comments

• Harleydog1
    1 year ago

I do have speech issues on occasion my husband thinks I’m drinking and the beyond us with you I probably should

• faithholdsme author
    1 year ago

harleydog1
    drinking sounds good lol… but I dont dare. Too many side effects with medications. Besides, I already act it, and sometimes that can be fun (for others to see) and just not stress over it!

• MyMSWalk
    1 year ago

I have speech issues – the more tired I get, the harder it is to form words properly. Also, some times my tongue does not work properly. This makes it hard to talk and hard to chew my food properly.

Stress is definitely enemy #1.

• faithholdsme author
    1 year ago

mymswalk:
    thanks for the response. These two things are very new to me and I have to say has brought me down. The tongue not working as it is supposed to made me sound like I had a stroke, and the GI issue has left me looking 4 months pregnant. I have a ct scan this week to see if it is more than just constipation.
    Stress seems to blanket everything, doesnt it? And no matter how hard I try, I cant seem to get mine under control.

• Erin Rush moderator
    1 year ago

Hi ggsmslife! I am sorry you are dealing with all of this! While we cannot provide medical diagnosis or advice, for your safety, I can say that a number of our member have dealt with MS-related speech and swallowing issues and gastrointestinal issues as well. MS seems to affect much, much more than “just” the central nervous system. Here is just one of many articles on G.I. issues — https://multiplesclerosis.net/living-with-ms/what-i-learned-at-the-gastro-appointment/. Also, here is a bit of information on swallowing problems people with MS may face — https://multiplesclerosis.net/living-with-ms/trouble-swallowing/. And, not to inundate you, but here is one last piece on speech issues — https://multiplesclerosis.net/living-with-ms/fear-phone-speech-related-issues-ms/. I do hope that you also get some feedback from our community members on your questions. And I hope these articles reassure you that what you are experiencing is “normal” (at least, in the world of MS!). Thanks for reaching out and I hope you can get some relief/treatment for these newest symptoms. Don’t hesitate to keep reaching out to your physician. You may also consider asking for referrals to specialists for your G.I. and speech issues. Good luck! Best, Erin, MultipleSclerosis.net Team Member.

• faithholdsme author
    1 year ago

Erin Rush,
    thank you for your response. Im new at ‘sharing’ so thank you in mentioning that advice thing. Not really looking for that as much as I am trying to find people that are dealing with the same things. I read the articles you referenced and printed them to ask questions as my next doctors appointment. I always, well the first 10 or so years that I would have issues with mobility, balance, and overheating. I know I read all I could back then, but I honestly did not understand that it could do things like speech, swallowing, and GI issues. I mean I guess if I sat and really thought about it I could bring myself to realize nothing is safe from MS. Maybe if I had read a bit more in those years I wouldnt be filled with so much anxiety about it now. I do hope other out here will share what they are going through in regards to this post. Thank you again for responding.