Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

How I deal with MS

In April of 2008, I had just finished a long, busy season. As a CPA doing taxes, that’s what you do. I was use to it. What I didn’t expect was what happened afterwards.

I was at a baseball stadium for an event when I stumbled down a flight of stairs. I never had balance issues and this was the first time I recall never being able to balance myself. I almost fell over a rail onto spectators below, but was stopped by someone. I was less than 3 feet away from slamming into the plexiglass and I am pretty certain it wouldn’t have stopped my momentum.

A day later, I experienced double vision while driving. The next day, I tried talking and sounded drunk. My sister commented I sounded drunk, but she knows I don’t drink. After a weekend of uncontrollable muscle spasms and walking like I had been drinking gallons of alcohol with no food, I finally went to the hospital. After a series of tests (one saying I had a stroke), I was told with 90% certainty I had MS. It was later confirmed after further testing.

I wasn’t the best MS patient starting out. I was miserable, uncertain of what was in store for me. With time, I have adjusted, learn to enjoy life more and laugh every day. Work is not as important to me now and I retired on disability, so I could enjoy time with my wife and 12-year old daughter.

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.


  • Kim Dolce moderator
    6 years ago

    Tom, you had quite a dramatic initiation into the MS club! You didn’t mentioned having injuries from that nasty fall, I hope you were that lucky. And it sounds as though you were diagnosed rather quickly, despite having had only one episode. May your MS journey be injury-free and uneventful. Thanks for posting your story, I hope we’ll hear from you again.


  • Tom author
    6 years ago

    Thanks, Kim. Actually, my diagnosis was confirmed two months later when they found a lesion on my neck. But I had a really large lesion in my brain that caused most of my problems. I ignored it until I could no longer walk.

    Thanks again. I will post more.


  • Poll