Just Diagnosed

Hi I was just diagnosed with MS about a month ago and it was very stressful getting diagnosed for it. It took me 5 months to get diagnosed. At first I did not know what was going on, I just left my job after working as a CNA for 10 years. I was getting bullied by my DON and a night nurse for over a year and I was not getting as much sleep as I should have been getting. I had to go see a counselor at the end of it all and decided my health was not worth working for them anymore.

I took a few weeks to get back to myself and then I started looking for another place of employment. It didn't take to long to find a new job as a CNA because of my experience. I started working at a hospital which I love, everyone there has been so wonderful and nice. After working at the hospital for a month I noticed that my feet were numb/tingling feeling then after I took a shower I noticed that my hips all the way down to my toes were numb. Than I noticed that I started walking around like I was drunk and unsteady.

I decided to go to the ER and I was given a X-ray they gave me on my back and the ER doctor could not find anything wrong and told me to go see my primary doctor for a MRI. I went to see my doc and she just ordered me some Motrin, thinking it was inflammation of my back. After a week of not getting any better I decided to go see a chiropractor and saw him for 3 weeks and I was not getting any better. Then I saw an orthopedic doc which did a EMG Test and referred me to a neurologist it took me a month and a half to see this doc and she ordered a MRI on my brain and my lower back. To get my MRI results I went on my Patient Portal and read the report that said my back was fine and they did find a lesion in my brain. From then on I figured it was MS.

The neurologist could not get me in for another month and a half. I was so frustrated. The doc did order some blood work that turned out fine. I got sick of waiting for this doctor so I talked to my sister in law that is a doctor and she told me about this clinic that deals with neurological disorders and she gave me the number. I called to make an appointment and they could see me the next day. I couldn't go for another week though, but it felt good they could get me in so fast. I had to drive 2-3 hours away but it was worth it. I saw the doc and she ordered a MRI of my spine and they found a lesion in my spine. Then she ordered a spinal tap and a week and a half later I finally found out I had early stage MS. I started taking my medicine a few weeks ago and I have wonderful support from my husband and family. It has been hard because I have been so forgetful and tired a lot, but I am not going to have that pull me down. I am a very optimistic person and I am very lucky to have the support I get. I hope everyone gets the very best support they need because it helps a lot.

By providing your email address, you are agreeing to our privacy policy. We never sell or share your email address.

More on this topic

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The MultipleSclerosis.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Join the conversation

or create an account to comment.