Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Your life changes in one second, with one sentence.

Hey my name is Chris, I live in the middle of no where Tennessee. Where our disease is virtually unknown to most people, including myself until a horrible day 6 years ago.

My girlfriend and I were coming back from one town over from mine where I had to be in court, which is a very, very stressful thing to go through for a normal person. God’s good grace got me out of that legal issue that day, but that gift was unbeknownst to me at that time. I was driving our car when suddenly something was terribly wrong I just didn’t know what was happening to me. My girlfriend had to take over the driver position.

I told her, mind you I was barely able to speak coherently, to take me to the hospital which was located two counties away. Upon arrival I was just able to get on the gurney before my body locked up, my sight was took, and my speech was untranslatable.

The doctors at Rhea county medical center first thought my then 25 year old behind was having a stroke. Wish I could have that explained to me, but to there astonishment nothing on the CT Scan showed anything occurring. I remember the unbearable amount of pain, and fear I felt just like it was yesterday.

A doctor sent a report to the hospital I was at, diagnosing me with having a complicated migraine, to refer me out patient and send me home. Mind you I cant see, Can’t move, can’t talk.

I was able to barely tell the ER doc that I was scared please don’t send me home, in which he kept me over night, I am still in an ungodly amount of pain and terror. First thing they took me to have an MRI.

It wasn’t more than 5 minutes after the scan when the hospitalist enter my room, coldly stated I’m sorry Mr Wright to have to tell you but you have MS. He turned and walked out without further explanation. I was flown by medical helicopter to Memorial Hospital in Chattanooga where I was placed in AICU. Treatment came super fast by this time. I spent almost 2 weeks there.

My neurologist said due to the acute nature of the exacerbation and lack of medical assistance a lot of irreversible damage had occurred. I became so horribly depressed and played down to give up. It took me 3 years to get out of a wheelchair, close to 2 on a walker, and about the same on a cane. I did that for myself, by myself. The girl and I mean exactly that ran from the challenge that I had become after me after almost 5 years being together. I have been through immortal h*ll that would make your eyes clur, but I think that was God preparing me for this. Without him I know I would have died, either by this or my own hands.

I am now 33, its been 2 years since my last hospitalization and I will not give in to this disease, it will not rule me. I have to much life to live. I have meant an amazing woman named Claire who loves me, and I know I will never feel that scared alone feeling ever again.


This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.


  • drmak
    1 year ago

    Your story floored me, while at the same time encouraging me. I too went from fully capable to unable to move at all.
    I was misdiagnosed at the first ER I was taken to. Unlike you, I returned home because I was in no pain and could see, praise God, and in full denial, mostly. They told me I was stressed because of my high functioning job/ life. Thankfully, they insisted I see a neurologist asap. I did and was told I had this weird disease I’d only heard of once. Being the type A personality I was, I asked, is this going to kill me? The doc said no. I said thanks and left fully expecting to carry on my life as usual. Lol Now my marriage is shattered, my career is gone and I’m only 44. I was diagnosed 6 years ago. I’m encouraged because you found love again. I didn’t think it was possible. Thanks.

  • wandaholt
    2 years ago

    Hi Chris. I have great respect for your struggle and determination to go forward. My ms onset was similar and tore me away from the profession I loved and the daily runs on my beach. First was disbelief then sadness then I chose to fight as hard as I could to squeeze out whatever there was left in me to work with. Some days are really hard. But I Ifeel so blessed to have each day because even difficulty has purpose. It is good to hear that you are in a good place now .

  • Erin Rush moderator
    2 years ago

    Hi Chris and thank you for sharing part of your diagnosis story with the community. Wow. I have to say that yours may be the most harrowing MS diagnosis story I have read in quite a long time. I am so sorry that lack of quality treatment affected your recovery. It sounds like you worked incredibly hard to get to where you are today.

    I know many of our members can relate to what you shared, from the depression, to the work of regaining mobility, to the loss of loved ones unable to cope with your diagnosis. We have a few contributors that are around your age and can empathize with your journey.

    I am so glad you found the right person to be by your side in life. Sometimes, a diagnosis like MS can show you who really loves you for you.

    Thank you again for sharing with us! We’re glad to have you here.

    Best, Erin, Team Member.

  • Poll