Tell us about your experiences with weight management. Take our survey!

Mercury silver dental fillings caused my MS symptoms

The following is my story of having been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, and the shocking discovery that my MS symptoms were caused by exposure to mercury in the dental office.

In March’1998 I suddenly became dizzy, and within minutes I was struck with severe double vision. The lights from oncoming cars were blinding me. I surmised it was a temporary condition, as I had never experienced these symptoms before. Nine days later my optometrist examined me, became extremely alarmed and sent me for a brain MRi. I later found out that she thought I had multiple sclerosis or a brain tumor. The following day I had a battery of tests at the neurology department of a prominent teaching hospital in Philadelphia.

Based on my clinical symptoms and the test results, which were a 10,000 ANA titer, elevated liver enzymes and an extremely high rheumatoid factor I was diagnosed with MS or Lupus, and told by the doctor that I would be sick for the rest of my life. He prescribed Prednisone to “fix my eyes”. I was in shock at the diagnosis, but determined to find out what had caused the sudden onset of double vision and other symptoms including swollen mandibular glands, loss of equilibrium and drooping eyelids.

By providing your email address, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

I quickly discovered through relentless Internet research that I had been mercury poisoned 7 days prior to the onset of the symptoms during the drilling out of an old silver dental filling and replacement of another. I had not been told by my dentist that silver dental fillings all contain 50% mercury, a potent neurotoxin.

I located a mercury-free biological dentist who removed all of my fillings using a safe protocol for removal developed by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology. It is essential for anyone contemplating removal of their mercury fillings, to have them removed by a dentist whose office and staff is equipped and trained to protect the patient from mercury vapors during the removal of the fillings.

In addition to having the mercury fillings removed, I was also treated by an environmental physician with a regime of specific vitamins and nutritional supplements as well as a series of Vitamin C and B IV drips. Diet is also extremely important to help the body detoxify and heal. My diet consists of organic fruits and vegetables, meats and chicken with no antibiotics (grass fed is best), and no white flour or sugar.

Within several months I regained my balance, my glands normalized, and the blotchy skin rashes on my legs disappeared. It took eight years for my liver enzymes to normalize without any prescriptive drugs. Although I still have very minimal double vision due to permanent damage from the acute mercury exposure, my eyesight slowly improved and I haven’t worn reading glasses in years. I continue to take about 40 vitamins and supplements daily, and am careful with my diet.

In my case my MS symptoms were caused by exposure to mercury vapors during a dental treatment, but for others chronic exposure from years of mercury escaping from their fillings may be a contributing factor or root cause of their illness. I encourage anyone who has been diagnosed with MS or other neurological/autoimmune diseases such as Parkinson’s, ALS, Lupus and Alzheimer’s to consider mercury fillings as a possible trigger of their symptoms.

Freya Koss
Wynnewood, PA

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Join the conversation

Please read our rules before commenting.