Life as I Knew It Was Over

I was still working full-time at a job I loved when it first hit me. I couldn't understand why tasks that were so easy were becoming more difficult and taking me twice as long to complete. I was having issues concentrating, and I chalked it up to stress as 1 of my bosses was a horrible, miserable little man. I had dealt with this person for over 9 years with no problems. Now I couldn't brush off his attitude. This really sucked, because I had always stood my ground to bullies.

The day I had my first MS episode

The day I had my first "episode" of MS, I was speaking with my direct supervisor when this jerk came down, butted into our conversation, and proceeded to start belittling me for something not being done which I had been asking him about for over a week. When the rise of anger started so did my shaking. My legs and body were shaking so bad I had to sit down. Then I went in to panic mode! WTH IS this?

I was so afraid

My boss told me to go ahead and leave for the day (she knew the doctors were trying to figure out what was going on), but I had to sit there for 15 minutes before my legs would hold me.

The shaking subsided somewhat, so I drove home...legs shaking and praying I didn't crash. I cried all the way home. What was happening to me??? I was so afraid, and finally being diagnosed did NOT help my mental state.
I ended up losing my job, because my doctor would no longer allow me to work under that man since he was a trigger.

We went through all our savings

I was out of work for a year with NO help from the government (my husband still made "too much money"), so I had to pay for everything out of pocket. Needless to say, we went through all our savings.

Started a new job

Fortunately (or so I thought), a "friend" was looking for her replacement as she was moving out of the state. The job sounded perfect as it was doing EXACTLY what I was doing at the other company. She was so enthusiastic when I accepted, but I told her I was nervous that I wouldn't be ready when she left. She assured me she was going to be there for at least 6 months. The work was VERY different from the other shop (think mom and pop vs. corporate giant). It was difficult for me to grasp as everything was so unorganized, and nobody ever turned in the necessary paperwork for me to do my job.

It was a disaster

I was getting frustrated and said so, but she kept reassuring me I'd get it. Well, as I finally mastered one giant task, I began asking about training on other tasks that I had not been but would be taking over. She kept telling me not to worry there was time. She left after 2 1/2 months and tried helping me over the phone. It was a disaster! I really needed her help one day, and she told me she'd take care of it. I blew a gasket! I was still suffering from the little man, and now this "friend" lied to me and left me hanging.

Stress sent my symptoms into overdrive

I went to the doctor to let them know what happened and was told I could no longer work. What a blow!
Now I not only was not able to work, but had half the income we had before. Stress sent my symptoms into overdrive.

FINALLY I found a new neurologist who was attentive and really cared. I have not started any medication yet because of Covid19, but at least I am learning to live with it.l thanks to the wide array of information.
Good luck to all.

By providing your email address, you are agreeing to our privacy policy. We never sell or share your email address.

More on this topic

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Join the conversation

or create an account to comment.