caret icon Back to all discussions

ADA Accomodations

I was wondering if anyone has asked for accomodations through their employer and their neoroligist would not assist with the process? They are referring me to a spine, sports and pain physician for evaluation of my fatigue( which has been an issue since my diagnosis 12 yrs ago) because it is "subjective". The ironic part about all this- My manager and HR person are on board and Suggested I asked for the accommodation because they don't want me to leave the company.

  1. Wow, ! That's a really interesting situation to be in! Let me say that I am glad your employer is on board, but it stinks that your neurologist is being a bit hesitant about providing you with the documentation you need. Can you get a referral to another neurologist? Do you have a general practitioner who can write the accommodation recommendations for you? I mean, I know it would be preferable to get it from your neurologist, but if he/she won't help, what else can you do? And frankly, if your neurologist thinks your fatigue is subjective, it may be time to consider finding a new neurologist, if that's a possibility for you.

    I am sorry you are in this situation, but glad that your company sees your value and is willing to do what they can to keep you employed with them.

    Best, Erin, Team Member.

    1. Thank you I actually have a previously scheduled appointment with my PCP next week so I plan to talk to her about it. I also feel I need to search for a new neurologist. I've been feeling their practice is not what it was when I started with them-this reinforces that.

      Thank you for the support and validating my feelings!

      1. , yes, you deserve a better level of care and consideration, in my opinion! Best, Erin, Team Member.

    2. So often you have to jump through hoops to get disability. The company or insurance insist you go to an "in network" doctor. I am familiar with spine,sports and pain practices and that's fine for pain from spine disorders and sports, but not for a disease process like MS.It's good your employer is on board. Is there a neurologist in your area that specializes in MS and other nerve related diseases? Do you know any others in your area with MS who could perhaps refer you to their doctor? If you've had this for 12 years you may know more about MS than the physician you saw.

      1. , thanks for your input to situation. I don't have personal experience with this, so it's always helpful to get some insider perspective in these cases. Thanks!

        Best, Erin, Team Member.

      2. thank you so much for the feedback. My doctor IS an MS specialist...that's what makes this even more frustrating. I know 2 people who use this same practice/physician. I plan to do some research and see what other specialist options are available. I live in a rural area so we are, unfortunately, limited.

    3. How disappointing. My fingers are crossed you find help with this.

      Please read our rules before posting.